Saturday, June 28

Musings of Brooke

Today I was checking out my friend Aja's blog (check it out sometime) and I noticed that she had the link to my blog titled "Brookie's Musings". I have been thinking about that today as I had a jonsing to get writing. A few things have been on my mind lately...one of them being my family, my parents in particular. We may not have always (and may never) seen eye to eye on everything...but some of the most important things that I have learned in this life have been learned from my parents...things I have gained I have done so because of their example.

The first thing, and most important, I have because of them is my testimony. It is something that I have had to gain on my own, but because of them and the direction that they have pointed me in, it was at a VERY early age the the truthfulness of the gospel was seared into my soul. I was sitting in a room in Carthage Jail listening to a recording of the events that occurred that fateful day that Joseph and Hyrum Smith lost their lives. From that day forth the gospel has not been something that I think is true, or hope is true...I know it's true. Now that is not to say I have not had to test the principles out on my own. Fortifying what I gained that day has been a constant battle, but one that has probably been made so much easier because of the truthfulness that was shone to me that day at Carthage Jail.

I also learned to be happy with the simple things in life. I spent many hours on road trips without a DVD player, many Sunday evenings enjoying the company of my family, many afternoons on my swing set, on the island in the middle of our cul de sac...I didn't own every electronic gadget...although they did not jump to the advances that they are now, but nevertheless, I spent time with my siblings, my brother in particular, and my imaginary friend Wonjun (who still keeps me company today).

I have had the importance of education etched into my brain. Just the other day I was filling out financial aid information (I am starting grad school in November-Masters in mental health counseling) and there is a question about parents' education...when I marked that both my parents have Master's degrees (I hope that is right) the enrollment counselor that was helping me commented on how important education must be in my family. I laughed and told him that until I was about 12 or 13 I believed that you HAD to go to college. I didn't realize that compulsory education ended after high school...and in the Russell family compulsory education does NOT end after high school...just ask my siblings.

I keep a fairly meticulous journal (and I have this blog of course) because of all the times I would walk into my mom's room at night and see her writing in her journal.

I have watched my family go through many difficult times, and we're still here no worse for the wear. Living a life of my own has brought with it more difficult times and often times the only reason I may make it through a day is because I watched my own family make it through many days when it felt as though the next hour was going to take all we had.

Like I said...we don't see eye to eye on many things...and probably never will...but I am who I am because of them, and regardless of any frustration that may arise between us, I do remember that, and will always be grateful to both my parents.

No comments: