Sunday, October 17

Kelli Jean Russell

My sister Kelli is leaving in about two days to begin 18 months of service for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

I'm so excited for her.  I'm excited for all the good I know she will do and I'm excited for all the good I know that the people she meets will do for her.  I'm a bit jealous of all those people who will get to spend the next 18 months with her because I know that in those 18 months she will learn so much about the gospel, about her self, about life...and it would be kind of cool to be around for that.  But I suppose I can't complain since I've had 21 years to see that.

I was talking to my sister-in-law (Mattie) today about missing Kelli and missing Scott.  I missed Scottie for sure when he left for his mission (I cried to whole way home from the MTC and the rest of that night)... and I missed him most especially at holidays (Christmas without a stirring rendition of Feliz Navidad and The Friendly Beasts is almost not Christmas).  But in my day to day life it wasn't so painful because we didn't socialize that often outside of family time.  Initially I told Mattie that it would be the same with Kelli...but then I started to think about all the concerts that I've been to with her...I'm pretty sure that she and Aubry are neck and neck for number of concerts attended together...a handful of them have been the three of us.  And then there are movie outings, visits to Provo and Cedar (depending on where she was attending school at the time) and just time spent talking about music or life or whatever.

I love my siblings so much...and I think in the last five or so years have gained an even greater appreciation for them as not just siblings but as real, true friends who I am always happy to socialize with anytime.  So while I'm insanely proud and excited about her decision...I am going to miss her. (Not too mention that now I'm going to have to work extra hard when looking for new artists to listen to because I won't have Kelli to help me out.)

But I do know that Kelli's decision to go on a mission will not only be a blessing her life, but a blessing in the life of my family as well.  I'm excited to hear about all her adventures (and misadventures...because with Kelli in the mix there will definitely be some of those) and trials that come her way. I know she will handle them all with charisma and a chuckle or too.

I love you Kell Bell.

4 comments:

Cali said...

Oh, cute Kell. She WILL be great. She IS great. And I like you too! :) Good luck to Kelli.

kelzone said...

awwww, thanks brookie! i will miss you too! and i'm going to need some music re-education when i get home. i leave that between the likes of you and scott bingham (especially to you with the possibility that scott will be married when i get home). so get working.

RONNIE said...

WHere is she being assigned to>????

Mom and Kenz said...

She is the greatest thing ever... along with you!