Saturday, September 25

RVF Summer 2010-Flaming Gorge

I am a little behind in posting this...

For our (somewhat) semi-annual RFV, we decided to head up to Flaming Gorge. Mattie's grandparents have a "trailer" in the trailer park near the Flaming Gorge Lodge. I use to word "trailer" loosely because it is more like a nice home/cabin. But technically it is a double wide trailer. Anywho...We began our trip with a late night drive with my Kelli which included a dead pig on the side of the road (sorry no photo), a real Wyoming cowboy complete with spurs on his boats, a hat and chew in his bottom lip, a conversation about uteruses (or is it uteri?) and a somewhat creepy drive in complete darkness on a road that we were not sure was the right one (it was).

When we finally arrived Friday evening and stepped out of the car I was reminded that there is indeed a Milky Way that is totally not at all related to the candy bar...the stars were...well...they were visible...to say the least.

Yes, this is the "trailer".

Saturday was our trip down the Green River. I would say that we went rafting because we were indeed in a raft, and there were paddles, but the white water was not really that white and raging. But it was a good time nonetheless.
The rest of Friday, and into the wee small of hours of Saturday were spent chatting about a variety of things including a baby in Australia that came back to life after being held by it's mother.

Jonah playing in the puddles while waiting to load our raft. Unfortunately what is missing is a picture of me doing the exact same thing. It's no wonder this kid and I get along like gangbusters...we have similar interests.



He hasn't quite got the hang of when to start the jumping...actually he has now...this happened over Labor Day weekend and our date was just on Wednesday. He got the timing right on Wednesday night.

driving to the river launch.


Getting ready to ride the river! Although I think float is a more appropriate word for the Green River. No offense to the Green River...I love it.


it is GORGEOUS. This picture does ZERO justice for this beautiful place.




Jonah and some of his biggest fans.


"Can it be?!" Jonah wonders, "Did Grrrm-pa just catch a fish on his first go at fly fishing???"


"He did! He did!" And then he threw it back...I will never understand "catch and release" Apparently there is a regulation on sizes you can keep...so that's fine...but if it is a fish you can keep to eat...then I say eat it!


"Yep, I am adorable and have each member of my family wrapped around my pinky. Figuratively speaking of course...my pinkies aren't that big...I'm only two."


Lunch and lounging...


...and napping. He actually feel asleep sitting next to me on the raft while we were still on the river.


Of course no RFV can be complete without a flat tire. But that was ok...


...because it gave Grrr-ma and Jonah a chance to go on a little hike...


and see a bunny rabbit...it is there I assure you...


...all while "soggy" (Jonah's name for Scottie) changed the tire.


All in all it was a great trip...as our Russell Family Vacations usually are! Oh and how could I forget to mention the food! Mattie made German pancakes for breakfast on Saturday and delicious sandwiches on the River. Then mama grilled salmon and halibut with asparagus and rice for Saturday dinner and to top it all off we found a campground and had AWESOME dutch oven chicken!!




thanks for the great vacation...


(thanks for the photo Mattie)

RFV 2010-Flaming Gorge Edition was a success!

5 comments:

kewwi said...

technically it is called a pre-fabricated home. but that sure was a great vacation!

the conleys said...

LOVE THE PHOTOS!!!!!!!!!

they're gorgeous... I am envious. Looks like such a killer trip.

mattie said...

i don't like it when people say "good times," but those were some good times!

Unknown said...

They were good times...and I'm pretty sure I say good times a lot :)

mattie said...

hahaha...sorry! i don't notice it, so you must not say it that often.