Tuesday, January 18

Washington=remedy for the inversion blues

As you may or may not know, I've spent the last week in Washington (the state of).  In fact, as I type this post I am currently still in the state sitting at the terminal, hours before my flight (more than I'd like) at Sea/Tac.  But the rain started coming down and I didn't feel so much like spending my day getting rained on.  I can't really complain though because this vacation has been a most excellent one.  One full of a lot of relaxation and spoiling and pure enjoyment and a lot of laughter.

Why Washington you may ask...especially in the middle of January.  Well it's simple, two of my most favorite people live here. (see here and here).  Plus, I haven't spent a whole lot of time in the northwest and I've only heard good things.  So I booked a cheap flight during the "dead zone" of air travel (January to April) and headed northwest to enjoy some insanely picturesque views and the company of friends.

planes, trains, 
(ferries, buses) 
a veggie oil powered automobile

My trip began with a bit of a slow start.  But the less than two hour flight filled with great tunes went smoothly.  Then it was on to my way to Sequim via Link, the Bainbridge Island Ferry, a Kitsap bus ride, and contrary to popular belief, a ride in a Mercedes station wagon powered by veggie oil that did NOT smell like a fast food or Chinese restaurant. 

Since I was going to be doing a bit of trekking through Seattle and across the Puget Sound to Bainbridge island and beyond I used a frame pack in place of a suitcase.  This proved to be a very wise move and has convinced me to always travel this way.  Not too mention, even though I was CLEARLY a traveler, somehow hauling your clothes and trip essentials in a pack makes people think you know your way around whatever city you find yourself in.  I think I was asked for directions no less than three times.  Weird.

I will also make an apology right now for my lack of pictures.  I was enjoying myself so much that I kind of forgot to document a lot of trip.  Plus the Olympic Peninsula is so beautiful that pictures really do not do any justice.  The only documentation regret I have is not getting a photo of Aja, Ashley and I.  How did we miss that opportunity?!  

 Seattle from the Bainbridge Island Ferry

Heading into the dock at Bainbridge Island.  
The homes along this bay are nothing spectacular as far as showy homes go, but they are literally twenty feet or less from the water and worth a LOT of money.


cows, pigs, chickens, crab bisque and green curry
After a long but truly enjoyable trek I met Aja at a park and ride station called George's Corners we headed to Sequim.  The ride was gorgeous...green, Green, GREEN.  And the company was the best.  What I love about Aj is that we can go years without seeing each other with occasional emails or birthday wishes, but it always seems that little time has passed.  The mark of a true and great friend.  

We got to Sequim where Elsie (Aja's four year old) and I immediately bonded and we got to work shelling Dungeness crab caught just off the coast just moments from their house.  Jonah (Aja's husband) is quite the chef and dinner was so good!

The next four days were full of life's little pleasures...including but not limited to:





castrating this pig...all by myself
(stay tuned for video coverage)


eating crab bisque and green curry
(both homemade...sorry no photos) 
and watching this four year old eat her weight in tofu.


family movie night with treats                                                                

the insane green and moss covered everything of the Olympic Peninsula



Rialto Beach 
the pictures do NO justice to how amazing this place is.  Just take a trip yourself.



 I wish I had been video taping the surf at this moment because about .2 seconds after this shot the rest of the wave followed soaking me up to my thighs.  Which was actually ok because while I was on the beach I was resisting the overwhelming urge to jump into the waves.  


seeing the Olympic peninsula's capitalization on Twilight insanity.


more beaches for shell and rock gathering
(and spur of the moment bathroom breaks...cause when you're four you can do that)



old bridges and Unicorn Princess Awesome who prefers to be called "wingy"



and really calming living quarters.
I don't know what it is about farms but I am just so happy on them
  I am now a believer in the fact that everyone should have chickens
 a farm with cows AND mountains AND mild temperatures



more ferry rides, Indian food, more hilarious and adorable children, 4:00am and downtown Seattle

Saturday Aja, Elsie, baby Po and I headed to Everett to see Ashley.  The trip consisted of some driving, an estate sale and two ferry rides.  I love the Olympic Peninsula area simply for the fact that riding a ferry is totally part of daily transportation for many people.

We arrived in Everette and spent a few hours with Ashley and Brad and Colin and Pierce.  A good time was had by all.  Sorry, no photos from dinner.  Although it was very tasty and really fun.  In all seriousness, I spent a lot of dinner with two children playing on and around me and could not have been happier.  

We said our goodbyes to Aja, Elsie and baby Po and I headed back to Ashley's and Brad's. We took a tour of Everett.  Did you know that they build Boeing plans in Everett in the biggest "garage" I've ever seen!?  The drive also included an Icee AND a UV cleaner for my Sonicare head because not only is Ashley's husband Brad a dentist but he is also one of the nicest guys I've ever met.  So nice in fact he wasn't even upset when I kept Ashley up until 4:00am.  We had a lot of catching up to do.

Oh and on top of that they drove me to Seattle so that I didn't have to ride the bus.  Seriously the nicest people with two of the cutest boys who are hilarious.

And last of all Seattle...I really did not take a whole lot of photos.  I mostly spent the day exploring and people watching and running into a girl I lived with in Boston who I had not seen in about six years.

 about thirty seconds before I took this photo a very friendly Jamaican mad offered me "some really good weed"  What does that say about how I look?
 View from the top of the Space Needle.  I debated going to the top, but I figure, I've been to the top of the Sears Tower and the Arch...I can't really leave the Space Needle off my list.  Plus it was nearing sunset...
 ...and watching the sunset over the Puget sound was gorgeous.  I know it doesn't look sunny but about ten minutes after this it cleared up and it was gorgeous.
 looking up through the trees
 outside Benaroya Hall, home of the Seattle Symphony Orchestra


All in all...relaxing and fun.  
Exactly what a vacation should be.  
Where to next?

8 comments:

Clark and Katie said...

Looks like fun Brookie! I may need to hear more about this pig castration.

mattie said...

is that pig dead? why is it not trying to get away from you? why would they castrate it if it was dead? i'm confused!

otherwise, looks like a fun trip. i want to see the northwest sometime in my life.

ern said...

i had to laugh at the jamaican guy offering you weed...when michael & i were in cabo a few years ago a guy along a dock somewhere asked if we wanted some good drugs (ok, he really just asked michael...i was sitting on a bench laughing at him).
sounds like a great trip! can't wait to see you and hear more about it.

the conleys said...

I love wingy. How awesome is that?

love all of these photos... looks like such a BITCHIN trip!!!!!!

also love the quote at the end... so great.

Unknown said...

Mattie...the pig is not dead. He is very much alive. When you see the video you will be able to hear it and see it moving. It's just tougher for the pig to move when you're holding him by his legs...and I'm insanely strong. :)

Cali said...

That.pig.is.disgusting. The end.

Cali said...

That.pig.is.disgusting. The end.

Mom and Kenz said...

Great pictures and even better stories.