Sunday, April 8

hair today, gone tomorrow

As I may have mentioned previously my aunt Steph is one of my most favorite people on the planet...one of the most influential in my life.  She is currently battling ovarian cancer.  She was diagnosed back in February(?) and started chemo a few weeks ago and as often times happens with chemotherapy her hair started falling out.  So my cousin shaved the rest off for her this past week.

I've often thought that losing your hair while battle cancer is just adding insult to injury.  I mean, I do believe it is just hair, but come on...a life threatening disease AND you have to lose your hair?!  I mean it seems like such a small thing, the hair...but hair really is a huge part of our cultural.  We spend, hundreds, even thousands of dollars to get it "just right", only to decide after a while that a completely different style and color is "just right".  There are musicals (which is fantastic) and movies (which was then turned into a musical and then redone again as a movie musical) and documentaries (so, so interesting and awesome) and songs (WAY too many to comment on) all about hair.  When we describe someone we almost always refer to their hair color, length, style, bang, no bangs...hair is a HUGE part of our lives...so to lose it IS really a big deal.

My aunt Steph, like I said, has been so influential in my life...in helping me become the person I am today.  And so, as a kind of thank you to her, and because I know that no thank you will ever cover all that she has done for me and because I know it isn't easy for her to lose her hair...


my friend Erin was nice enough to do the honors.
As for the actual hair cutting experience itself...I loved it.  Erin and I were laughing and talking the whole time...about hair, about life, about love and the gospel and acceptance.  It was a great way to spend an evening.  We cut it outside so I didn't have a mirror to see the first cut or the many that came after...Erin took pictures while she cut and then we went in to the bathroom so I could take a look. I think she was a little nervous about my reaction...and if I'm being honest, I was a little nervous too...but I looked at it and rubbed my head (which I can't stop doing) and it was fine.  I mean, it really was just hair (which I am donating to locks of love because it is...was...long enough!!!)  Erin suggested we go get dinner and try it out in public...I kept forgetting I didn't have much hair anymore, until two girls at dinner could not stop staring at me.  Other than that...it was fine.

So Steph, anytime you want to go out in public, I am happy to go along so you don't feel so alone :)  I also went to the grocery store last night...I didn't really notice if people were looking...as you may or may not know I LOVE the grocery store and get a bit focused when I am there, so I was somewhat oblivious to whether or not people stared.

So there you have it...and here are a few more photos...

the first cut...

half a mullet

profile of half mullet...I think this was Erin's favorite stage...

ready for the razor!
and we're done!


4 comments:

Mom and Kenz said...

You truly are Awesome Brooke and you don't even need to legally change it to be that way!

kenzi said...

you are awesome brooky!!! I love you so much! :D

Lindsay said...

SO AWESOME. SO SO AWESOME! you look fabulous, by the way. i love it.

Derek and Lisa Larson said...

Oh my gosh! Brooke! You look so different! What a kind gesture. I'm sure she appreciates the show of support.