Wednesday, January 23

A real opinion

I am not one to express a strong opinion about anything that serious when it comes to my blog, Facebook or any other social public media.  I will express my VERY STRONG opinions about how wrong it is to mix tuna with miracle whip and then eat that gross mixture on white bread...don't even get me started about adding pickles...GROSS.  Anywho...I listened to this report today and found it to be absolutely ridiculous and could not refrain from sharing my thoughts. Listen to the audio or read the article by clicking on the "Summary" link in the media player.




Mr. Monson would like Utah to end it's support of the Sundance Film Festival because some of the films at the festival do not reflect Utah values because some of the films shown at the festival portray sexual promiscuity.  Has Mr. Monson been to a movie theatre in Salt Lake...almost anywhere in Utah...recently?  There are plenty of movies at the Broadway and Tower that would fall in that category, but beyond that, there are plenty of movies at Cinemark Theatres and Megaplex Theatres that would fall into that category as well.  Would Mr. Monson like us to shut down all movie theatres?  If you don't want to watch that kind of movie, don't watch it.  Mr. Redford is not forcing anyone to see these movies.

After reading the article on NPR I read Mr. Monson's blog post on the Sutherland Institute's website.  He asks what message the state's support of Sundance sends to society and specifically to the children of Utah. Frankly, I don't think it sends any sort of message to children of Utah since I would imagine children, if they have ever heard the word Sundance, associate it with the ski resort, or if they have been well versed in movies, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.  Most likely however, I imagine the majority of children in the sate of Utah don't even know what the Sundance Film Festival is, or know which movies are playing at the film festival or how to search to find out which movies are playing at the festival.  There are not trailers on tv or the internet (for the majority of the movies).  Most people, unless the care to know, have no idea which movies are playing at the Sundance Film Festival.  I just took a poll in my office.  Out of six people ZERO knew the title or even a description of any movie at the festival.  One coworker didn't even know what the festival was...not kidding.  Those with children (3 of the 6) mentioned that their children did not know what the festival was or did not care and definitely none of them knew what movies are playing.

As for a message to society...well I hate to be Debbie Downer but that message of "sexual promiscuity" is being shared all over the world and very vocally by people/organizations/companies who have zero to do with the Sundance Film Festival.  As stated in Mr. Monson's post...the revenue from Sundance is only 0.064 of the state's total annual economic activity.  SIGNIFICANTLY more is being spent by those people/organizations/companies whose main agenda is sexual promiscuity.  If he is trying to curb the message of sexual promiscuity I think his efforts would be better focused on those groups.

I am all for promoting my values...for anyone promoting their own values.  But I try to do so in a way that makes sense i.e. I try to live my life in a way that is the best example of what I believe (not saying I am always successful, but that is my M.O.).  The argument that having the Sundance Film Festival in Utah is sending a wrong message to our children is just not a strong one, in fact, it is just plain laughable.

There are many movies at  the Sundance Film Festival, as well as other theatres, that do not reflect my values.  If they are offensive to me, I do not watch them.* If you find the subject matter offensive, don't take your kid to the movie.  But the filmmakers have a right to make those movies.  In fact I believe there is some sort of amendment saying something about their right...something about free speech...  I am also pretty certain there is an amendment, which the Sutherland Institute is in favor of, providing a right to bare arms.  So how about if we not overstate.  We live in a world where we can't hide from things we don't agree with.  But we do indeed have the power to choose what we give our time and attention to.

And while I would not tell Mr. Monson that he doesn't have the right to share his opinion, because he absolutely does...in fact he has the right to campaign to get rid of Sundance...but if he is going to do that...I think he needs to have some stronger reasoning.

And yes, I know, the Sutherland Institute is a VERY conservative think tank on par with the Eagle Forum...but I just could not keep my self from commenting.

That is all.  Thank you for your time...and don't worry...it will be another year before I express an opinion on anything serious again.

Oh and I am seeing THREE Sundance movies this week. :)

*While there are some movies at Sundance I have no interest in seeing, there are plenty that I am dying to see.  And they do not reflect my personal values, but that doesn't mean I won't appreciate the film.




No comments: