Tuesday, July 31

The Power of the Bread Maker


This morning at the Russell house hold began as any week day morning would: Dad up and getting ready for work; mom out weeding (its summer, otherwise she'd be at school molding young minds); Brooke, Kelli, Kerri asleep in bed. At about 7:00am my body began to wake. This process usually takes a good fifteen to twenty minutes for me. Although there can be a catalyst of two thrown in the mix to move that process along. This morning it was my mother's dulcet tones in the direction of my father. Argus (the giant, black poodle who resembles a small deer according to my friend Melissa) had been outside relieving himself and was unfortunately (for ALL parties) sprayed by a skunk. The dulcet tones of which I spoke of were those of my mother yelling at my dad to NOT let the dog back in the house. HOW HAD HE NOT SMELLED THE DOG?! HE REEKED!! IT WAS PAINFUL!! Unfortunately, due to the limited capacity of my dad's olfactory system he took no notice and happily allowed Argus back into the house.

Needless to say my mother was less than pleased. My dad wasn't the one that had to suffer...he was off to work. My room didn't smell much more pleasant as I sleep with my window open at night. So now the smell had wafted in from outside and was also running through the house in the form of a standard size poodle. I finally got out of bed and proceeded to get ready for my day. My mom came down stairs and I asked her what had happened. I asked if she was taking the dog the the groomers to get bathed and she said yes. I wondered if maybe they'd charge a few extra dollars for the smell...when you get your car washed and it's super muddy it's an extra couple bucks...she said she'd pay a hundred. Then she said that she would be baking bread in every room of the house. She asked if I'd like her to bake some in my room. I laughed, said yes, and went back to primping ;)

To my surprise ten minutes later she walked down stairs with the bread maker ready to go! She wasn't kidding. She really was going to bake bread in every room in the house! BRILLIANT WOMAN! So now when I return home this evening my house will smell of freshly baked bread, and a bathed dog. Ah the power of bread!

3 comments:

simplysarah said...

Sounds like you may have some excess fresh-baked bread on your hands. You know where I live...;)

PS YES YOU CAN PLAY RACQUETBALL WITH ME!!!

Amanda said...

What I want to know is, does the smell of bread have any special ability to rid the house of skunk? There are some odors out there that will cancel out more offending ones and for future use, I want to know if baking bread is one of those for skunk spray.

just wondering.

Unknown said...

by the way...the smell of bread does NOTHING for a skunk...not one single thing. The skunk smell was so over powering!