Tuesday, September 25

I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream...cones!




I love ice cream. I am a true believer in the fact that ice cream makes everything better. I have always loved ice cream...that frozen treat. It has served it's purpose in getting me through some tough times. I have wonderful childhood memories of ice cream, frozen custard, and frozen yogurt.

When we lived in St. Louis we were able to be near the best frozen custard in the US, possibly the world. Ted Drew's. The green and yellow cups are what I remember best...those and how much my mother loved...LOVES...Ted Drew's. She drove miles, and miles out of her way to Utah just to go to Ted Drew's. When we moved from St. Louis her friends got her a Ted Drew's cup with concrete in it...real concrete...so that she would always have a Ted Drew's concrete.

Then there was Julie Ann's Frozen Custard in Illinois. It was near my orthodontist, and nothing feels better on freshly tightened braces than a delightful frozen treat. I loved their turtle sundaes. Except when I had my expander(an orthodontic device to make my mouth bigger because it wasn't big enough). The nuts would get stuck between my expander and the roof of my mouth, and I would have to suck them out. It disgusted my mother, and as a result I developed a habit of sucking in sometimes...even without my expander...it's not really a pleasant noise...at least not for the rest of the world...anyway...I suppose for my earliest years it was frozen custard...but don't worry...ice cream has it's place in my life too. Edy's Grand (which is Dryer's in the west) was our favorite store bought...with my mom's homemade hot fudge...or Mrs. Richarson's...my mom taught me how to have a little ice cream with your hot fudge. Maybe I love ice cream and custard so much because it reminds me of my mother....interesting.

Anyway...then we moved to Vegas. I don't really remember much about frozen custard or ice cream in Vegas, but I do remember frozen yogurt (and of course In-n-Out Burger...but that is for another blog). I remember going to TCBY and getting vanilla frozen yogurt with Reese's Peanut Butter Cups...DELICIOUS! Then there was the Golden Swirl at Smith's grocery store...what I remember about Golden Swirl is the day that Aja got her driver's license. She had just gotten her driver's license and so we went driving, and I bought her frozen yogurt and we walked around Smith's just having our usual good time doing nothing important...of course how were we to know that in under an hour Aja would be getting in her first car accident...with her driver's license still warm from the printer! A great memory with a great friend. I remember eating ice cream with my friend Mary and laughing so hard that Mary wet her pants a little! Nothing to bring about good times like a creamy frozen treat! I'm telling you...if you want world peace than pray for ice cream to be loved by all the world! Maybe an ice cream truck should drive through the battle fields of the world.

Then...tragically...we moved to Utah...but lucky for us...Nielsen's was here...and though it's no Ted Drew's...it is definitely a decent substitute. Especially when their flavor of the day is MINT!!! And Cold Stone or Baskin Robbin's has ALWAYS served as a delightful ending to a night of spiritual uplift-ment (aka institute). I've had some great conversations with great friends sitting outside of Basking Robbin's and Nielsen's, and Cold Stone...I even have a little Cold Stone crush! He's very nice!! And let's not forget the soft serve cones at Maverick for $0.89! In college those were life sustaining...and when we really wanted to splurge it would be an Oreo Sundae at Denny's...good times!

But one of the most important things in all my love for these creamy, frozen treats is how do you eat them...well for me...it truly depends on what I'm eating...

Ted Drew's...green and yellow cup for sure! Julie Ann's...a bowl. Edy's green ice cream with black dots and my mom's hot fudge...one of our brown bowls that we've had forever! TCBY or Golden Swirl...a waffle cone at TCBY and sugar cone at Golden. Nielsen's...a cup. Baskin Robbin's...or any other hard ice cream...a SUGAR CONE. Cold Stone...since I usually have a shake...a cup...if I do get the ice cream...typically a bowl...though I have been known to splurge on a waffle cone. Soft serve from McDonald's, Dairy Queen, or Maverick...a regular cardboard cone. I know...I'm a complicated woman...but only about the little things! ;)

But how do we eat these delightful treats? Well I think that how we eat them says a lot about who we are...So I decided to take a little poll...of sugar cones...because they truly are the best...and regular cones...they truly are pieces of cardboard...here are the results! ( and I love those of you who just said waffle...even though it wasn't an option...I wondered if that would happen)!

john: sugar cone. a regular cone is one step away from eating paper.

annie: sugar

aubry: regular. with vanilla soft serve from Dairy Queen...yum!

amanda: waffle cone. I have a happy childhood memory about waffle cones. plus freshly made ones are divine. (I'm telling you ice cream is the key to world peace)!!

eric: waffle, all the way. chocolate dipped when I can get it.

jeff: regular (I guess he likes cardboard)

jimmy: regular

dave: waffle

kathryn: sugar cone! more crunchy and sweet! (AMEN)!

jenn: I'm gonna pay extra for the waffle cone!

kelli jean: sugar

jerusha: sugar cone for sure, unless the regular ones have half the calories. (who counts calories when they're eating ice cream)!?

kerri ann: regular (I can't believe we're related)!

mandy: well between those; sugar. but waffle is the best.

sara: sugar

becca: mmmm....sugar.

melanie: regular cone all the way!

sunshine: sugar

jill: sugar! I want all the sugar I can get.

tracy: sugar

dave: sugar! dug! (we are definitely related)!

jessi: sugar with chocolate dipped and lots of sprinkles

mindy: sugar cone because of its great sugary goodness and because it was such a coveted reward when I was little.

stephanie: sugar of course.

danna: I love sugar cones!

tim: sugar cone.

kim: regular

shorty: depends on how much sugar I had that day. generally regular cone because of its shape. (leave it to shorty to over analyze the question...oh wait...so did I)!

ronnie: regular...cuz it gets good and soggy faster.

sarah: waffle cone dipped in chocolate and nuts.

becca: sugar. always.

megan: waffle cones. bigger. holds more ice cream

alisa: sugar cone

tammy: sugar

ed: depends...a high quality ice cream deserves a high quality sugar cone. McDonald's ice cream doesn't seem right on a sugar cone.

slice bread: generally I would say sugar cone, but sometimes I'm in the mood for a tasteless piece of edible cardboard with my ice cream. (this is why we are friends)!

ray: waffle cone

janelle: no cone

jenn: no cone

josie beth: sugar

devin: for sure the sugar cone. they hold a lot more ice cream
  • ADDENDUM: So Courtney pointed out that her answer was not on here...which may not be the end of the world except that this question was her idea!! Here is her response: "Well it depends on my mood, but if I don't get a cone (sugar) then I get a cup and sugar cone and I crush the cone on top". My humblest and most without wax apologies.

3 comments:

danna said...

89 cent Maverick cones are the best. That was one of my favorite traditions at college! Me and my roomies were masters of the cone - I swear we could load more than a pint of frozen yogurt on those cones. We made sure we got our money's worth!

Anonymous said...

I cannot believe you didn't put my answer on here!! I mean come on, wasn't our conversation what sparked this little survey!? I am offended ;)

simplysarah said...

Wow, and here I thought I was being all original...

If I could add an addendum to my own comment, it would be to say that a costco ice cream bar is better than anything. Also, a waffle cone dipped in coscto chocolate and almonds would be better than the acceptable (but not ideal) Coldstone option.