Tuesday, August 19

The Truth

As I was browsing the blogs of my family and friends I checked out my mom's. She has yet to share stories about my dad, but I am patient. However, what caught my eye today was my mom's comment next to the link to my blog-"jokes, jeans, & Jesus (Brooke-who else would name a blog this)". That is a very true statement. Who indeed? My blog title ran through my head again...and I began to think more on it. Why did I choose that name? Well...the jokes part because laughter, humor, those are two important parts of my life. Jeans...well...casual is my favorite mode; relaxed...wearing jeans and and t-shirt...so to speak is how I live my life. And then of course we come to Jesus (well...some of us anyway...I am SO funny)! But seriously...why would I, did I...choose that? For the alliteration? Possibly. For the shock value? Maybe. The real reason, however, is that like jokes and jeans, the Savior makes up in large part, who I am.

Recently we have heard much, especially from Elder Ballard in regards to "joining the conversation". (referring to the world of blogging and Internet conversations). Well...I would hope that I have been part of that conversation my whole life...whether via the Internet, the phone, text messaging, snail mail, or face to face conversation (my personal favorite). As far as my Savior and the Gospel go...here it is...my contribution to "the conversation":

It is not a matter of hoping it is true, wanting it to be true...it just IS true-the doctrine of the church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints- the fullness of the gospel, the truth about who I am, where I came from, where I am going...the WHY of...well EVERYTHING...lies within this truth I know as the gospel of Christ. I think I have mentioned this before, but when I was young, very young, four-ish...I went to Carthage Jail for the first time. (http://scriptures.lds.org/dc/135) I listened to the recording of the events on the 27th of June 1844 and in that moment I KNEW that it was true. The way I know that the sun rises in the east and sets in the west, what happened in that room on that day, was true. During that trip the story of Joseph's first vision was also discussed. (http://scriptures.lds.org/en/js_h/1/16-20#16) Coupled with the story of his (Joseph's) death...my beliefs, the path my life would take, the truth that I would subscribed to... was sealed, not with my own blood-with the blood of a true prophet, his brother, and so many other's who came both before and after.

This does not mean I have spent my life simply accepting this truth...far from it. There are many doctrines, teachings, commandments...that come from this gospel...I am not always anxious to fall in line behind them...and definitely not without my own confirmation of their truthfulness. My Father in Heaven, being the loving Father that He is, does not leave me on my own...my faith in this truth is in large part due to Him...the love He has shown me. The simple fact that each night I can get down on my knees, that at ANY point in the day, I can call upon Him for guidance, reassurance, knowledge...that is where my ability to know has come from...the love of a Father. His willingness and desire of us to fight, to struggle to seek and FIND the truth, to find our way back to Him...His desire for each of us to become like Him...that love is overwhelming to me. The fact that I can feel that...that alone provides me with so much faith.

This knowledge also does not mean I have spent my life always content, always happy, or enjoying my life...in fact...because of this knowledge I have found myself at times so frustrated, angry, even furious at my Father, at the truth, at myself, the world. But because of the truth I have also found myself pushing past those feelings...or at least knowing I can get beyond them. (Hey...I am NOT anywhere near perfect...and life is tough). I will continue to make mistakes in my life...big ones, intentional ones even...but the truth is still the truth and my knowledge of it will ALWAYS be there.

I realize this may not come to all of you in the same way, or in the same simple manner, but you can have it, and I hope that for those of you I know I will be a catalyst for that knowledge rather than an impediment.

So...there you have it-jokes, jeans & Jesus. I am not trying to draw attention...I simply want those who read this to know what is most important to me. The gratitude I have for the truth, for my parents for guiding my to the truth...it is immense...overwhelming. It is true. I know it is-it will always be true to me...even in those moments that I am not true to it or myself. Our Father in Heaven is real. Our Savior is real. His sacrifice, the Atonement, is real. I know these things to be true.

No comments: