Tuesday, July 29

Russell, Wall, Bevan, Maloney, Chamberlin, Carroll...whatever...I LOVE THEM ALL!

so...since this is my blog...I can be somewhat indulgent on it...so this may not be exciting for some of you, but I feel like it is worth being said, and not just to my journal.

I love my family. I am not speaking of my immediate family...although...I do adore them. My extended family. I grew up (well until I was about 12 or 13) assuming (bad idea, I know) that everyone knew their extended family the way that I do. Aunts, uncles, and cousins, great aunts and uncles, second and third cousins...probably removed some how...I don't really know how that works...but anyway...as I reached the realization that not everyone knows their extended family as well as I it made me sad. I was thinking about this today as I was contemplating my day this Saturday...family reunion...I have a lot of other options this Saturday as far as entertainment goes, but I am STOKED...S-T-O-K-E-D...STOKED...to see my family on Saturday. They are funny, and they love me, and I love them. I have great memories of them from my early childhood, as well as recent memories including having one of my mom's cousins be in the temple when I went through the first time, as well as the sad passing of a great aunt...but in all of the times in my life...happy, and sad...when my family has been around it has always been so great.

I remember when my grandma great (great grandma for those of you not members of the Russell family) was turning 90 and my grandpa Gene was turning 80 (I think)...I met members of that family I didn't know...but by the end of the day, I had new recipes for the grill, as well as a place to stay if I ever went to Louisiana.

Growing up in Chicago we made a few trips to Tennessee to see a great aunt and uncle and I made a great friend...her name was Leanne, while I was down there...we had some pretty serious religious discussions...considering we were about eleven years old. But I had a wonderful time. Right now, writing this, I miss it...I want to go back.

Last summer I was in Cedar for the weekend. It was Saturday, late afternoon, and I was getting ready to head home. I stopped at the gas station for the necessary water bottle. I noticed a sign on the door "Northbound I-15 closed due to fire"...guess I wasn't going anywhere. I thought about staying with my friends one more night, but decided that I since I loved driving home on Hwy 89 might as well swing over to Kanab via Zion National Park, and see my aunt Carolee and her family. As I drove through Zion with my windows down memories of so many times in that park came flooding back. I made my way through the big tunnel, and coming out on the other side, pulled off at one of the turn offs. There was a trail to a scenic overlook that I had never been on. So I grabbed my water and put on my shoes and headed along the path. Great hike FYI.

I got back to my car and continued to Kanab. I called my aunt to let her know I was coming and she was more than happy for me to come and stay. I spent the evening watching movies with my family, and reading, oh and taking a MUCH needed shower :) They next day I visited my grandma great in the nursing home (it turned out to be the last time I would see her), and had Sunday dinner with my aunt and uncle. It was a great dinner, and both Saturday night, and Sunday afternoon I passed time talking with my aunt Carolee. She is...well...without words.

Which brings me to another topic of family. My brother and sister in law are having a baby boy in September. I am VERY excited to say the least...but I have to be honest...a little part of me was really hoping for a girl. You see...I have the most wonderful aunts growing up. Both on my mom's and dad's side. (They are still wonderful). But they spoiled me rotten, and made sure that I always enjoyed myself. I was hoping for a niece so that I could return the favor...but I suppose a nephew will do ;) In all seriousness though...they have been wonderful supports throughout my whole life.

I could go on and on about my cousins, my grandparents...but I will stop. Suffice it to say...I have a wonderful family, and I am so grateful to be a part of it.

1 comment:

mattie said...

well SORRY. you're going to have to blame scott for that one. and i'm being totally sarcastic here because i know you're excited.