Thursday, October 1

BEST BUY IS LAME


I wanted to title this "Best Buy Sucks" but my mom hates that word, so in an effort to bring happiness to her life we will go with lame.

I have been in the market for a new computer for a while and I have been saving up to buy a Mac. But when I found out I was losing my job I decided that I should probably NOT spend almost $2,000.00 for a new computer. I have always liked HP and have had good luck...and I don't mind "being a PC". So with that I set out last Thursday to buy a new laptop.

I looked around for a while...had two not so helpful sales people bother me...the first guy was totally unwilling to give him his thoughts and opinions about ANYTHING...what is the point of a sales person if they are unwilling to sale you on something!? Best Buy needs to take a lesson from Nordstrom. (Thanks for all your help Becky...my aunts, grandma and mother would not have been so well dressed).

Finally I decided on one...an HP...very pretty, very white...just like me ;) The sales girl who was now helping me was so insecure and really had NO idea what she was doing, but I was patient, and she took me to the customer service desk so that the "Geek Squad" (who were not nearly as handsome as Zachery Levi) could install some antivirus software and set up my new HP notebook. It cost me $60.00 for their work, but it was worth it since I didn't want a bunch of ads, etc constantly popping up. They said it would take about 2 hours...it took three, but I was ok because the Geek Squad member who helped me was nice. I took my laptop home to play. Since I did not have the password for the wireless network at my complex I did not get on line that day. But I tested other things out and it was great. I was super excited!

I went to my mom's the next day to try out the Internet, but was unable to pull up any websites. All signs pointed to me being connected and my mom's computer was working, as was my sister's in law...so I figured it was a product problem. I took the computer back today....here is what happened:

After making a few attempts on the same secured network I took it back. The Geek Squad guy ran some diagnostics and determined that there were 12 viruses on my computer. I had never even managed to get on line. I had had the computer less than a week and had not really used it. The rep said it would be $130.00 to remove the viruses or I could return it but would lose $94.50 for a restocking fee, AND I would not receive a refund for the Standard Security and Performance check. I was extremely upset, since the security check had been in vain. I was also upset because I was never even able to use the product. Not too mention that Geek Squad rep that helped me today was totally unsympathetic and had no customer service skills at all. I will not being shopping at Best Buy again, or using the Geek Squad and I will be more than willing to tell anyone about my poor experience...hence the blog. I have written Best Buy a letter and will be MORE than happy to discourage ANYONE from shopping there. Having worked in customer service for many years I know how damaging one bad experience can be...I am happy to do that damage!

6 comments:

Kristina said...

That is the sort of stuff that eats me up inside. Poor customer service. If they really wanted your business...for the rest of your life...that would be mega bucks...then they would make sure you are satisfied (especially since it wasn't your fault)! Ugh...see if you can find online help to do it yourself. There's lots of good advice out there.

Unknown said...

Well I agree about the satisfaction...but I ended up returning it! I was just so irritated! We shall see what happens. I wrote a letter :)

aubry. said...

this might not be very funny, but it's very true:

the geek squad put co-worker monique's dad right over the edge one day over the installation of his hdtv. he was so worked up he left the store... had a heart attack on the way home and died.

shame on you, geek squad, and you $160 charges for nothing at all!

mattie said...

best buy is lame-o!

i am appalled at aubry's story. that is horrible! i'm never buying anything from best buy again if their customer service is so horrible that it kills people.

RONNIE said...

GOOD to know. I feel the same way about Kneaders and Verizon Wireless/Diamond Mobile Stores. NEVER buy from the mall kiosk.

Heather said...

We call this store "Worst Buy" around our house, and tell anyone who will listen not to shop there. Also had a very negative experience with computers.

I have been blog-stalking you for a while, but have never left a comment. It is great to see what is going on in your life!

-Heather Camp Spencer (from the old days in Palatine:)