Saturday, October 8

my main man


a Friday or so ago I had a date with my main squeeze...Jonah.  We went on our old standby date of water fountains on Temple Square and riding the train.  He and I are such a good pair...we move at the same pace, we love the water, we love riding Trax and we both love to stop and smell ALL the roses.  We had such a great night.  (camera disclaimer...in case you are just joining us...can't really tell what I am taking pictures of.)


We started off with Hawaiian Punch Slurpees (possibly my new favorite) and the Slim Olsen's car wash.  



Apparently just a few weeks earlier Jonah did not like the Slim Olsen's car wash, but thanks to Grandma Russell and his mama he was totally content to sit and drink his Slurpee and watch the brushes clean the car.  I think the trick is a cold treat.  That has ALWAYS made the car wash more enjoyable.



Up close and very personal.

We decided that we would walk down to Temple Square since I live so close...that would later prove to be a bit more difficult than I thought.  We had to stop and visit the statues at the Daughter's of the Utah Pioneers museum.  Jonah really just loved getting right up close.



A happy kid.



Looking at the reflecting pond is serious business!



Those shot actually turned out not too shabby.  The shadow of the tree looks pretty fantastic, along with the contrasting red.  Sometimes not being able to see turns out pretty great. (Pretty sure there is a life lesson in that somewhere.)



some of the MANY flowers that we stopped to smell.


Alas, not every pictures turns out how you'd like when you can't quite tell what is in your shot...


But other times you get lucky!


A boy after my own heart.  You'd better believe that we both ran along the edge of these fountains running our hand through each one.




I realize this picture is HUGE.  But it has to be so you can see Jonah.  It was just a stroke of luck that I caught him giggling right after he'd put his hand in the fountain to taste the water.  I have tried to explain that while we can touch the water, drinking it is not a great option...but the sneaky kid ran to the other side and dipped his hand in giggling all the way.  I just laughed and laughed.



touching the water while Brookie is close by to keep Jogie from drinking it.



He really, really wanted to ride this bike...not the actual bike in the photo, but the red bike rack shaped like a bike.  It is difficult to explain the purpose of a bicycle shaped bike rack to a 3 year old.



No joke...we sat on this bench...that Jonah was convinced was a bed because it was so wide...for 25 minutes just watching the fountains.  I LOVE THIS KID!  Enjoying the little things in life.  The fountains at Abravanel Hall are pretty great.



Happily riding the train!!



Jonah ordered the mac & cheese...best mac & cheese I've ever tasted...he thought so too because he just shoveled that stuff in.  I had salmon which was delicious.  If you're downtown and need a place to eat The Blue Lemon is tasty.


Enjoying dinner.  I had a picture of his plate which was almost completely devoid of mac & cheese, but alas it has disappeared...



By the time we were heading home it was dark.


I don't have a photo but when we got to the cross walk at North Temple and Main, we ended up hanging out there for at least 4 cross walk lights.  A man sat down in front of the fountain on that corner and pulled out a hymn book and harmonica.  He was actually quite good and Jonah thought so too because he would not let us leave.  Finally we crossed the street and were about half way past the conference center on the way up Main (so not really far up Main) when Jonah decided he wanted to ride on my shoulders...and of course being the best aunt ever that I am, I carried him all the way up the hill on my shoulders...got a date with Jonah AND a work out in!  Thanks bud.  I really just love this kid.


No comments: