Wednesday, October 19

trippin' in the fall...and not of the road variety

Today is a gorgeous autumn day here in Salt Lake City.  The temperature is perfect.  The sky is blue.  The sun is shinning brightly.  Not a day to be at work...and if you MUST go to work then for sure a day to at least take a stroll.  Which is exactly what my friend Becky and I decided to do.  About twenty minutes after work we met up and decided we'd stroll around the Capitol. It is about a mile around...a pleasant stroll and we were taking BB with us.  (BB is Becky's little girl. Her real name is Brooklyn, but when Becky was still pregnant I would refer to the baby as BB for Becky's baby or Baby Brooklyn and it stuck.  Although I am the only one who is allowed to call her that.)  The stroll started out great.  Just walking and chatting and laughing.  And there is a nice incline so we were even getting a bit of a workout.

As we were coming down the hill behind the Capitol walking towards my house right in the middle of a sentence I suddenly find myself falling to the ground and I am pretty sure somersaulting head over feet.  Since we were walking side by side on the side walk I was trying to stay to the edge to give Becky and BB room and apparently the grass and the sidewalk at that particular juncture were NOT level and my foot landed between the two and well...next thing I know I am laying on the ground with a twisted ankle and a scrapped knee.  Well I figured a scrapped knee.  I didn't actually look at as I was more concerned that I had just twisted my ankle.  (What I find amusing about this is A) it was funny because I fell and it is funny when people fall down.  And B) I have been running lately...the last few months...regularly and not once..not a single time have I ever tripped and/or fallen down.)  Making sure my ankle was fine we continued on our way discussing the horribleness of someone twisting their ankle because it reminded us of the many times we'd both twisted ankles playing ball.

We arrived back and my house and continued chatting while BB played on the grass.  I decided to look at my knee since it was stinging a bit...and low and behold...it was not my ankle I needed to worry about...

The result of my trippin'

You may not be able to tell from this photo but below the blood my leg is a bit red with some smaller cuts and scrapes...it is also turning into what I think might be a nice bruise...at least that is how it feels.


The last time my knee bled like this was the result of a crazed standard size black poodle dragging me down the sidewalk by his leash...seriously.  But that is a story for another day.

After receiving first rate medical attention...i.e. I washed my leg and knee off with hot water whilst sitting on the edge of the bath tub.

I have a few more trips planned for the fall...hopefully they won't turn out like this!




No comments: