Thursday, June 28

all things considered...

Some of you may or may not be aware that about one year ago my car was stolen out of a church parking lot...June 20, 2006... to be exact. It was like any other day. I got up, drove to the bus stop, parked my car in the designated "Park and Ride" lot…aka my stake center, and was off to work. It was a Tuesday, and on Tuesdays at Rubio's fish tacos are $1.00. To me the fish taco is a little slice of heaven. So my roommate and I had decided to go to Rubio's after work. Since I did not drive that day, she came and picked me up and off we went to Rubio's. Now this wasn't any old Tuesday...fish taco day, as well as the day that Anderson Cooper (VERY attractive news correspondent for CNN) was going to interview Angelina Jolie...who (and I know I'll get flak for this) I happen to like. My roommate Aubry LOVES Anderson Cooper, but she is team Aniston (as in Jennifer, former wife of Brad Pitt...I know it's ridiculous the things we know about other people's lives). So we went to Rubio's, enjoyed a lovely, yet cheap dinner, and began our drive home to prepare for the interview.

As we drove home we chatted about this and that. Reminiscing about another time we went to Rubio's and as we were driving home we were in the middle of a motorcade for El Presidente Fox of Mexico! It's always an adventure with us. (club Suede, Ben Taylor, Tristan Prettyman, and a LOT of lesbians). As we pulled into the parking lot I was telling Aubry a story about a roommate I had in Boston who sued the Cheesecake factory (another great story). I looked up assuming my car would be there (NEVER ASSuME because we know what that does), but alas it was not. I said, "Aubry I think my car has been stolen." It was funny actually. We stopped where I had parked it at about 8am that morning...right next to my friend Mindy's car, but it was nowhere to be seen. I told Aubry to drive around the parking lot, HOPING that I had a memory lapse and maybe for some odd reason parked it somewhere else...but I did not park it somewhere else. We drove by the spot I had parked it one more time just to make sure my eyes were not playing tricks on me...they weren't.

My next thought was that my friend Chris (who sold me the car) had come and taken it as a joke. I called him, and he laughed...as did I...and assured me he had not taken it. I thought maybe...I don't know why I thought this, but you sort of do weird things when your car is stolen...Scott or Kelli came and took it as a joke. We drove up to my parents house, but it was not there. I went in and walked upstairs to tell my mom…(because as a child…regardless of age…that is always our first instinct…to tell mom and dad). The first words out of her mouth were "Call the POLICE!" Then I had to break the bad news to her. There were a few things in my car that belonged to her. Nothing of monetary value, but of immense sentimental worth. She was SO sad...and to be honest, I felt worse about her stuff than I did about my car. (I was also harboring an extreme amount of sadness about my gift certificate to Kitty Pappas that was in the car, but other than that I was pretty sad about her stuff). I went downstairs to get the number for the NSLPD. Scott said sorry, but he was kind of laughing, as was everyone else, because it really is hard to believe...not a funny ha ha laugh, but a "You've got to be kidding” sort of chuckle. Kerri was asking me if we could go to Seven Peaks and I think the stress of it all began to set in because I couldn't find the number in the phone book and I started to get a bit flustered. Aubry was kind enough to look up the number and dial for me, then I went back down to the parking lot to wait for the officer.

By this time it was 7:15pm and the interview we had been planning our day around was starting at 8. We were afraid that we would miss it because it was getting later and we still had to wait for the cop to show up and then take down the report. While we waited I paced back and forth in the parking lot and was talking half to myself, and half to Aubry. I wasn't mad…I was sad… there were no tears...it was just a strange feeling. I suggested that Aubry go home so that we could record the interview. I told her a walk home would do me good, but she was afraid I would get picked up by the police on the way because I would be walking down the street ranting like a crazy person. So we decided to call someone to go put in a tape at our house. (TiVo would have been very helpful). I started calling a few friends, and left 'messages...
"Hey it's Brooke if you get this message in the next few minutes call me back...it's sort of important."

A couple people called back and the first thing I said was,

“Hey my car was stolen and we are waiting for the police do you think you could go to our house and put a tape in the VCR so we can record the Anderson Cooper/ Angelina Jolie interview?"

Every one's reaction was the same,

"Your car was stolen?"

"Yes, but can you go out a tape in our VCR?"

No one seemed to grasp the importance of the interview...go figure. Chris...being the great friend that he is, came over to the parking lot to wait with us...I suppose he had somewhat of a vested interest...he sold me the car and his amplifier for his stereo was still in there ...ah well...Office Osoro finally came...he was very nice. I told him what happened. He said,

"Are you sure your car was stolen? Because you are awfully calm for someone who just had their car stolen. Most people would be yelling at me."

I told that I worked in customer service and I don't yell at people who are helping me. We proceeded to discuss the car, and told me what he would do, and then we chatted about his drug bust of 3 lbs of pot in that very parking lot, and a DUI arrest he made the other day...it was guy I know…he lives near my aunt and uncle in West Bountiful and I use to work with his wife.

Officer Osoro was in a good mood because he had just gotten a new patrol car. He let my roommate sit in the back. She was surprised by how little leg room there was, but hey, if you're a criminal you don't get leg room. We went home…we missed the first 20 minutes of the interview, but it was pretty long, so we caught the majority of it. It was great. I learned a lot about Africa and the things that go on in certain countries over there....I am truly grateful that I live in the United States and am so blessed to have the life I have.

My wonderful friend Sarah Davies was nice enough to bring me a cherry coke Slurpee. Oh another officer came to our house that night to have me sign an affidavit saying my car was really stolen and I wasn't trying to commit insurance fraud. So that was the end of day one. I was calm and collected. That continued until Thursday morning when I went to get my rental car. I had to have a Chevy Impala...it was nice and new, but it was like a boat!! And it didn't have a SUNROOF. That is my favorite thing about my car...I almost started crying as I drove to work, and then the frustration set in. It's not actually getting your car stolen...it's everything that happens as a result...rental car…filling out a claim...it is the longest form in the world...it took over an hour to fill it out.

Then last Saturday after my big carne asada party hosted by Aubry’s dad… I was cleaning up and the police called my parent's house...which I thought was weird considering I gave them my CELL number and nothing else. The lady on the phone asked how long my car had been in NSL. I thought that was a weird question and told her that it had been missing for a week and half. She then asked if I had reported it. I said yes, I spoke to two different officers. She asked in the were NSLPD...of course...then she said an officer would call me to tell me where it had been ditched....she didn't say, “well hey we found your car.” It was all very strange. So about fifteen minutes later an Officer Hargis (very nice man) called to tell me that my car was at an apartment complex on Orchard Drive. I asked him which complex. Peach Tree. HA HA HA HA. That complex is right...I mean exactly due west of the church parking lot the car had been stolen out of. I drove over there and sure enough...there was the Champ (that is my car) The stereo was gone, the sun roof was wide open, and all my change (maybe a couple bucks in pennies...I thought it was funny they took the pennies) Chris's amplifier, my GIFT CERTIFICATE, a couple CD's, and my garage door opener were gone.

The car itself was fine...at least it seemed fine. I think it's fine. They may have hit a curb when moving it the whole fifty yards because it pulls to the right...but other than that it's good to go. The officer explained the reason the lady on the phone was so weird was because between the TWO officers that helped me NEITHER of them listed it as stolen…even though I reported it as stolen. So I now am driving my car again...happily, and silently...it's amazing the things you can work out in your car without music. I'm not filing a claim because what was stolen is worth less than my deductible. All in all it was a pretty good experience as far as getting your car stolen goes. Oh and the look on my mom's face when I brought her stuff back to her...PRICELESS! She was so ecstatic. So there is the story. Maybe you wanted to hear it maybe you didn't. Until next time sports fans...good night and good luck,.

2 comments:

aubry. said...

i like this one. i forgot about a few things... like office osoro being so kind as to let me sit in the back, the story about the girl who sued the cheesecake factory...

but i do, very clearly remember driving around the block again... and laughing about it. and i remember the ranting and raving... wondering if i was supposed to respond to you or not... and the anxiety about missing angelina and anderson. little did i know, the interview was going to replay 47 more times that month.

oh, and the tristan prettyman/ben taylor thing. i remember that... but not necessarily because of anything that had to do with this.

good times.

simplysarah said...

I remember that night too. Somewhere in between texting/talking to you on the phone, I went bathing suit shopping with Kathleen. Then we went to Jake's over the top and waited THIRTY minutes for our shakes. Which I was pretty ticked about, until we went to 7-11 (to get you a slurpee) and Joe Barber was there. At the time, I thought it was a pretty exciting night.