Monday, June 25

karma and Ted

So this story is a LONG time coming...I actually can't believe it wasn't my first story! It makes me smile, and sometimes even laugh out loud when I think about it, and it has thus far made a few others laugh too.

Last fall I was on my way into work. I had stopped that morning for a hot chocolate, since it was a bit chilly out. I walked in to the building and as I approached the elevators the door closed...I barely missed it! At the same moment a man, probably in his early 40's was getting off the parking garage elevators. I pressed the elevator button, and the same door that had just seconds before closed, reopened...as this gentleman and I stepped onto the elevator he commented on how lucky I was. I smiled at him. We pressed our respective floor buttons; three for him, six for me. As the elevator rose he commented...at least three more times...on my luck...I simply nodded and sipped away on my cocoa. I don't have much to say in the mornings, as many of you know. As he was stepping out onto his floor I felt like I should comment since he'd been so talkative. So I commented: "It's karma." He turned and looked at me and replied: "Oh...my name's Ted."

Those elevator doors closed and I burst into laughter!!! I could not believe it! Now there is a man, on the third floor, who thinks that my name is "karma". I've always wondered when, and if, it ever hit him...as the doors were closing, and my laughter straight from the gut, that is not quiet at all, penetrated the steel doors...as he was sitting at his desk one day, during a conversation in which someone mentioned the concept of karma...I don't know...but I will ALWAYS be so grateful to Ted during those moments when I need a good laugh!

2 comments:

A and J said...

that's a good one. i'm going to tell it as a joke.

Unknown said...

as long as I get the credit...it really does sound like a joke...but it was real, and it was WONDERFUL!!!