Friday, May 21

The Rain

I love the rain. I always have. My earliest memory of rain takes place in Saint Louis, MO. I was in a tree on the back patio of our apartment complex. The sun was shinning...and then it started raining! I was so fascinated by this. I suppose that is where it all began. I think my love for the rain was only fueled by the insanely gorgeous, havoc-wreaking storms that I experienced living in the Midwest. There really are few things that I love more than the rain. There is something extraordinarily calming about it. I have memories of being at Lake Powell during a rainstorm watching the temporary waterfalls form as the rain searches for a place to fall; driving through Zion National Park during a rainstorm listening to Pachabel's Cannon in D wondering why my parents thought it was a good idea to move to Utah; watching the usually bone dry washes fill with water during a Vegas downpour; playing in the puddles after a long night working in the deli; watching a storm in Boulder, UT; driving through the streets of Cedar City in the middle of a down pour feeling like I'm in a boat...partially because the car was as big as a boat...sitting on my balcony in the Avenues, watching the lightning while someone near by played the accordion...seriously...it really happened...I thought I was in a movie...it may have been one of the greatest moments of my life. And I could go on with more memories...or how much I love hearing the force of the rain fall change, or how thunder use to scare the beegeezez outta me, but now it's just a beautiful sound readying me for the lightning...or tonight...sitting just inside my door, listening to the rain for the last three hours. I can't get enough of it. I'm so thankful for the rain today.

1 comment:

Allen Family said...

mmmmm, I love the rain too, Brookie! It's so cleansing! I love the smell before and after and I love that all the colors outside look different after the rain--clearer, deeper, brighter. I love the rain too. loves, JK