Saturday, March 3

"please" and "thank you" in the deli

I worked in a deli for a good portion of my life. Starting with Bob's Deli during my senior year of high school, and then continuing in a service deli at Dick's Market in Bountiful. I learned a lot about myself and life in both places, and gained many life long friends. Probably the greatest and most significant discovery that I made (and I apologize to those of you who are waiting for some amazing metaphor for life) was that every person should work in retail, whether it be food sales or other, for at LEAST three months of their life. I think that would immensely impact how retail workers are treated.

I feel that I am...by nature...a fairly kind, and polite person. I had...to that point at least...grown up believing that others were the same way...no, I did not grow up in a bubble...however, having worked in a retail-ish profession over the course of about seven years...I have noticed that people seem to forget themselves, or at least their manners, when someone is waiting on them. Now I work in a customer oriented position as well, and on one occasion have almost been brought to tears by how rudely I was treated.

For those of you who are nodding in agreement right now my empathy is yours...for those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about BE NICE. It is very simple...someone is providing you a service that you would otherwise have to do your self. Why do you go out to dinner? So you don't have to prepare a meal and do dishes, etc...someone else is doing it for you. And yes, it is their job, but that is no reason to belittle them. We all want to take pride in what we do...regardless of how menial our job may seem to others...it is OUR job. I don't know about you, but I want to be a contributing member of society...I want to do it with a smile on my face...but that is EXTREMELY difficult when people are rude.

"please" and "thank you"...not difficult to pronounce, not difficult to spell...but my oh my...how far they have gotten me. Not only does the person who is receiving the "please" or "thank you" feel good...I feel good saying it. I feel kinder, and in turn much happier. It is the simple things that bring peace and contentment in life. A Boar's Head Mesquite Smoked Turkey sandwich with lettuce, tomato, salt and pepper, and mustard...unless you're Melissa, then no sauces...a bite of fresh homemade potato salad, slicing seven kinds of meat, and three kinds of cheeses on a Saturday night two minutes before closing and 30 seconds after you've cleaned the slicer...these are the things to enjoy...why...because a "please" and "thank you" and a smile accompanied all of them...not to mention they taste good.

1 comment:

simplysarah said...

That last paragraph makes me hungry. ;)