Thursday, December 1

Christmas time is here...

...and with that comes many exciting traditions and adventures specific to the holiday season.  One tradition I have (it's my 3rd year doing this, so I feel like it is safe to say it is now a tradition) is reading about the life of the Savior.  I like to read, in this order, the books of Matthew, Mark, John and Luke.  Luke is last because of the alliteration..."Luke is last"  Just kidding...Luke is last because I love the account of Christ's birth in Luke the best and since it is Christmas I feel like that is appropriate.  John is second to last, not because he is simply switching places with Luke, but because I LOVE "the great intercessory prayer" that Christ offers as written in chapter 17 of John.  Now that you know all the details of my tradition...oh...except this one...this year I've decided to read a book a week...ok NOW you know all of them.  I'm currently in Matthew... obviously...which brings me to the purpose of this post.

As I was reading tonight I came to verse 13 in chapter 5-
Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men.
As I read this I commented to myself (out loud) that this verse is a perfect description of how I've been feeling lately...salt with no savor.

Unfortunately no great revelation struck me after that as far as how to go about getting my savor back.  So any suggestions on regaining savor, moxie, joie de vivre...please send them my way.  

However...as I continued reading I came to verse 14...which seems logical since 14 comes after 13...

Ye are the light of the world.  A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid. 
I've read this scripture many a time, or recited it in seminary, or heard it over the pulpit or in conversation even...but not until about 30 minutes ago did the following occur to me...This scripture is not simply referring to the times that I am good and great and wonderful...full of flare and moxie and savor...this scriptures says that I am...right now and always...the light of the world...a city on a hill...that is NEVER EVER hidden.  So in my moments covered in awesome sauce AND my moments covered in not-so-awesome sauce...I am still a light of the world and I am still set on a hill (which is true as I do live on a hill).  I can't run away from those...responsibilities?  callings? privileges?  They are mine and they are here to stay.  So now it is REALLY imperative that I find my moxie again.

As to not end on a depressing note...I did see s spark of it today on my way home from work.  At Christmas time in Salt Lake, Temple Square is awash in lights.  I LOVE IT.  on the southeast end of the temple is a HUGE evergreen that has often, since I was a child, until a few years back, covered tip top to trunk in red lights.  Standing under that giant tree looking up at those read lights is one of my favorite moments in life ever.  Unfortunately in the last few years that tree has NOT been covered tip top to trunk and I have been saddened.  Today on my way home as I drove up State to North Temple I passed the plaza to the south of the church office building and all the lights were on.  Including two tall evergreens with red lights...and wait for it...an entire "forest" of red lit trees!  I squealed for joy! (which incidentally was first of two squeals for joy this evening)  And then chuckled at myself and sat at the stop light basking in the true contentment that washed over me.  Christmas lights brought that feeling.  Something small and simple brought a dash of savory salt back to me.  I have high hopes of a savory, moxie filled December...despite the freezing cold!


No comments: