Friday, December 2

Small & Simple Every Time

For the last week I've been fighting a cold/sinus infection/something that is making me tired and giving me a horrible cough.  I stayed home from work today and slept for half the day.  Later in the evening I did venture out so as to keep from going stir crazy and to purchase a humidifier at the strong suggestion of my mother.  And seeing as how she is my mom, and the smartest person I know, I decided to heed her suggestion.  Incidentally the humidifier is working as evidenced by the condensation on my windows.  I could dance around my room naked with my curtains open and I don't think my neighbors could see.  But I digress.

disclaimer:  this is NOT the display at Smith's Marketplace.
It was much, Much, MUCH BIGGER....SOOOOO BIG.
As I walked through Smith's Marketplace searching for a humidifier and mouse traps (no evidence of mice yet just being prepared...Unfortunately the terrible, horrible no good very bad raccoons remain) I came across a sight that brought a grin to my face...which was quite a feat considering I am pretty sure I look like death warmed over and feel even worse...a HUGE display of duct tape...and not just regular grey duct tape...but many,  many colors and designs...candy cane stripes and tie-dye and bright neon colors!  It was so beautiful.  It made my day.  Had I felt better I would have stayed and meticulously gone over each color and design a chosen a few, but I am so exhausted from not sleeping well that my ear to ear grin wore me out.

Driving home I chuckled to myself as I smiled with delight at the two blue lit trees on the corner of South Temple and State...duct tape, blue lights, a Santa hat hanging on my front door in stead of a wreath...all these things fill me with joy.  Such small and simple things, but such a overwhelming feeling of simple "glad-to-be-alive-ness". 

P.S.  I am definitely going back to have a better look at the duct tape display.

2 comments:

Clark and Katie said...

love this.

Jannifer said...

Brooke, I do enjoy that you are blogging more recently. I love your entries.