Friday, December 2

Never Fear...Perfection Isn't Here!

 Matthew 5:48-
Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.  
That scripture has always seemed a bit daunting to me.  And from conversations with others, I gather it is a bit daunting to them as well.  The concept of perfection is like the concept of eternity...one that my imperfect and finite mind is unable to wrap itself around.  I've always comforted myself with the thought that I don't have to be perfect in this life...but then I think, "Well Christ was perfect in this life...maybe it is an end game that I must reach in this life?" Then I freak out and feel so defeated because to me achieving perfection is like scaling Everest with nothing but my bare hands...possible (maybe) but not at ALL probable.

Well my friends...tonight I am breathing a (congested) sign of relief that can maybe be heard round the world and it is all thanks to Greek translation.  (Loves those Greeks...their noses, architecture, food, translations.)  The footnote for the word perfect in the scripture caught my eye...
GR complete, finished, fully developed
PEOPLE!!!!  DO YOU REALIZE WHAT THIS MEANS?! There is not even a small chance that I can be perfect in this life.  I will not be complete, finished or fully developed until the next life!

Now I know, I can't stop trying, but there is no reason to be down trodden by every mistake I make...which is good because they occur daily...this necessary and desired perfection will happen...just not in my mortal lifetime.  I can (and will need to) continue to use the atonement right up until my last mortal breath.  And if that breath happens before I can use it a final time...I will still have time to keep working.

Maybe this is nothing new to many of you, but as I mentioned previously, perfection was always such an overwhelming thought to me.  Of course by the time I do shed this mortal coil I hope I am a million times closer to perfection than I am right at this moment.  And in the meantime I am not looking for a loophole to "eat, drink and be merry".  With an attitude such as that one, in this life or the next perfection would not be possible.  It is all about the desire of my heart and my desire is to live with my Father in Heaven again someday and be made perfect.  It just feels nice to not be climbing up Everest with nothing except my bare hands.








No comments: