Tuesday, August 7

more Olympic thoughts


I have become obsessed with pole vaulting and will now be YouTubing pole vaulting videos.  (Please bless that pole vaulting is not a slang term for something inappropriate.)

I think pole vaulters are sneakily the strongest and most flexible athletes of all sports. 
I have come to the opinion that there are few things in life more beautiful than watching a runner in their element.  Particularly those running the sprint races.  Allyson Felix, I think, is the perfect runner.

Totally loved watching Georgeanne Moline on hurdles.  I think that hurdlers are the second toughest athletes.  Second only to pole vaulters.

I wonder if pole vaulters name their poles.  I really hope they do. 

I was genuinely excited that Aliya Mustafina won the gold medal in the uneven bars.  She has kind of become one of my new favorite athletes.

Judging in gymnastics is still ridiculous. (see previous post)

One word for McKayla Maroney after her silver medal on vault-Disneyland.

My heart breaks anytime a gymnast from any country does poorly on a routine because they always, without fail, look so broken hearted.  And since they aren’t quite women (for the most part) and still little girls, it is just so sad to see them so crushed.  

I think that the consolation prize for those who get silver medals in ANY SPORT (see women's shot put finals) since they always seem more disappointed than the bronze medalists, should be a trip to Disneyland hosted by Shawn Johnson and Gabby Douglas.

What is it with the American and the Eastern European (specifically females) gymnasts being so stoic.  Except for when they win…and except for Gabby Douglas.

I LOVE Gabby Douglas, there is not doubt about that, but why, Why, WHY are they interviewing her, when Aliya Mustafina just won the Russian’s first gold of the Olympics this year?! 

Oscar Pistorius…pretty awesome.  The only non awesome part is that I think he should not be able to compete in both the Paralympic and the Olympic games.  One or the other.

Best moment of men’s vault finals…when Sam Mikulak tells Yang Hak Seon that his vaults were ridiculous and is genuinely stoked to see him win the gold medal.  Also, Yang Hak Seon’s vaults were awesome.

I think that networks should not get to have a monopoly on Olympic coverage.  The should switch off for both summer and winter.  This way, there will be motivation for the networks to improve their coverage every two years. 

I am cheering for the Dutch in men's beach volleyball.  I would love to see them win gold.

No comments: