Sunday, January 10

A mouse in the house

Recently the Russell household (as in my parent's home) has been plagued with a family of mice. And despite Beatrix Potter's and Disney's portrayal of mice as sweet and fun-loving, they really are not. They are dirty and sneaky and just plain gross. However, on Saturday evening one doomed rodent was the source of a few minutes of entertainment for my brother and I. Since my nephew Jonah is walking and interested in EVERYTHING, the traditional mouse trap has been replaced with the mouse sticky pad so as to avoid pinched (and possibly broken) fingers for cute little Jonah. This made for good comedy.

Scott and I were downstairs playing Mario Kart on the Wii, when my mom starts yelling for Scott to come upstairs and take care of the mouse. He half-heartedly makes his way to the stairs, as our mother is becoming more and more frantic. Apparently the mouse is still running across the floor with the sticky pad stuck to it's hind legs! Scott and I burst out laughing and of course take the next logical course of action, and grab our cameras. When we reach the second floor our mother is upstairs on the third floor overlooking the railing yelling at us to get it outside. We are laughing so hard at the sight of the mouse, as well as the panic in our mother's voice...who is an entire floor above.

Eventually Scott and I swept (Scott) the mouse into a brown paper bag (that Brooke held) and then I carried it outside to let it slowly slip into the abyss of hypothermia. I realize that was maybe morbid and kind of sad, but such is the circle of life.


His hind legs are stuck to the pad as he tries to hide behind the table leg...

I have to admit that this shot did make me feel a little bit sad about putting him out in the cold...but like I said...circle of life.
Escape Attempt

I think the best part of the video is Scott saying, to the mouse, "Ewww, don't come over here sick-o"

3 comments:

simplysarah said...

That is hilariously disturbing!

mattie said...

i thought the story was hilarious when scott told it to me, but the video kind of makes me sad! i don't really know why because i have been really disturbed by the fact that we have caught 6 mice now.

Kristina said...

ew, ew, ew...I hate mice. My dad made my brother and I empty mouse traps into the field behind our house when I was only 4 years old. It has scarred me for life. I shudder to think of it to this day and I can't stop fidgeting to think of a mouse in my house. ew, ew, ew!