Monday, January 11

Things I learned today at school

As you may or may not know, today was my first day of school...again (how many first days have I had...K-12=13+5 years of college+my sixth year of college starting today=19...right? I hope so, other wise I'm in big trouble)...here are a few observations I made about my own experience, as well as general observations...

1-18 year-olds now look like what I think 12 year-olds should look like (perhaps that is a sign of getting old-er)

2-"Nerds" and adults sit in the front row...I think I'm somewhere in between...and yes, I sit in the front row, but I think I will be a second row-er...since discussion and lecture notes are posted on a big screen it is like sitting too close at a movie theatre. (A side note...no offense is meant by the term "nerds". These are the students that I will most likely try to be friends with so that they can help me...really they are brainiacs and I will henceforth refer to them as such)

3-Comfortable, well supportive shoes are essential on a larger campus (I didn't learn that bit of information at SUU---GOOOOOOOO flip flops)

4-If you're going to be a teacher, be a professor...you get to pick your own dress code.

5-Science professors are NOT fashion forward thinkers (but they are awfully comfortable)

6-My chemistry class is mostly female, while biology is a mixed bag...why is that I wonder?

7-School desks are still NOT comfortable

8-I'm not too fearful of biology, but I'm wetting my pants with fear for chemistry! HELP!!!

9-The first day of college is the same as the first day of any other grade/year and seems mostly equal to junior high or high school.

10-I miss small classes...both physical size of the class and number of students in attendance. I guess that is expected in lower level classes. Although even at SUU my general and lower level classes were no where near 300+ students.

11-My chemistry professor talks so fast it is a serious job just to follow what he is saying...again...HELP!!!

12-My chemistry professor did make me feel better tonight by telling us that chemistry is the study of behavior...just like psychology :) ...except we're studying the behavior or atoms, molecules, etc... I CAN do this...but still...please HELP!!!

13-I know what I would be like as a biology professor...I'm in her class...and I would be AWESOME!

Well, it was a great first day. I'm exhausted and was ready to fall asleep at 7:42pm. But it is a good tired feeling and I know that I'm working towards something that is so worthwhile. YAY for education. I really do love school, and in an ideal world, I could find some nice philanthropic people like the Eccles, or the Huntsmans who would look at me and say, "There is a girl who, not only will be an outstanding nurse, but is an exemplary student. We should give her all the money she needs to attend school and provide for herself, so that she may be an example to all the students around her." Here's to hoping, and a great 3 years!

6 comments:

kelzone said...

amen...sometimes i think i will never graduate...and then i remember wait, i never DO want to graduate!

mattie said...

kelli, that day will come when you would give the world to be graduated from college. i promise.

brooke, congrats on completing your first day of college in eight years. mine's tomorrow and i'm really nervous!

Mom and Kenz said...

If I had lots of cash I'd say "Brooke is a girl who, not only will be an outstanding nurse, but is an exemplary student. Dave, let's give her all the money she needs to attend school and provide for herself, so that she may be an example to all the students around her." Sorry I can't actually fulfil that wish... but does it help knowing I would if I could!

Glad you had a great day at school!

PS -- won't be helping you with Chemistry at all!!!

Kel said...

Congrats on going back to school. That is something that I have been looking into as well. After SUU, I don't know what I would do in a huge class - I loved the small classes. I took Chemistry in ninth grade, so I am basically an expert. If you need any help, let me know!

Anya said...

YEAHHHHHH SCHOOOOOOOOOL!

Heather said...

Yeah for education! Where are you attending? If you are at the U, you should take my class. I teach FCS 3450.