Friday, February 11

February=Love: the 11th

February: the 11th
The Book of Jonah

I love the book of Jonah in the Old Testament
I once heard Elder Holland say that we're not supposed to have favorite scriptures...
so I imagine the same might apply to having favorite books of scripture.
But, since Elder Holland mentioned that he has multiple favorites...
I feel it's ok since I too have multiple favorites.
So I list the book of Jonah as one of my favorite books of scripture.
I love it.

What I love about Jonah is that he struggled for a while with his faith.
I like to read about that in the scriptures...
to know that great prophets of old struggled just as I do.
Not in the believing...but in the applying the beliefs in their lives.
I don't struggle with the believing.
Which is, I know, a great blessing.
So I do not mean to sound as if I'm discounting that blessing.
But what I do struggle with is the application of what I believe in my life.
To the point...I lack faith in what I believe... in what following the gospel can bring into my life...the power that is has to change me. It is silly, that I lack this faith, as I watch all around me, the gospel of Jesus Christ change lives. Yet, I am unsure about whether or not it can change mine. This is not to say that I'm in constant doubt or that I haven't seen it in my life before...I just struggle getting to the point where I let it work.

So it is through the stories of prophets like Jonah that I find my faith in what living the truth brings. And I find comfort in knowing that my Father in Heaven will be very patient with me. Even if Shamu has to help me get there.

And as an added bonus...in case you do not know the story of Jonah...this little girl will set you straight.



2 comments:

Mom and Kenz said...

Good commentary -- and great video!

Tracy said...

Brooke,

I want you to know that living the gospel to the point that it makes you into a new person is something that we all struggle with. Sometimes it's the challenge of putting forth the effort we need to, sometimes it's the challenge of being humble enough to let go of our favorite weaknesses, and sometimes it's just plain hard.

Thanks for the blog post and the reminder that this is part of the experience of being human while trying to learn to be divine.

Much love.
-Tracy