Sunday, February 13

February=Love: the 13th

February=Love: the 13th
Las Vegas.

Yes, you read that correctly.  
I have what I might truly describe as a deep and abiding love for Las Vegas, Nevada and it's surrounding suburbs...
much of my love goes out to Henderson/Green Valley specifically.

I know this may seem odd.  
I don't like to gamble.
I've only ever played slot machines...
which are kind of fun, but a waste of time.

I lived in Henderson, Nevada for about two years.
I attended Green Valley High School for my freshman and sophomore years.
Those were overall 
(quantifying for my Woods Cross friends)
my best high school years.
And things were by no means perfect...
but I had some great times...
some of the best of my childhood.
I came to understand who I was at my core.
I met people who changed my life...
whose influence I still feel today.
I could write a novel about my time in at GVHS and in Henderson...
perhaps I will...
I think I have a first chapter somewhere actually.
But I will spare you for now.
Instead...check out the brief slide show.

This is Mike, Brad, Aja, Brooke, Danny and Mary.
Some of my very favorite friends.
We're at Aja's 16th birthday at Leaps & Bounds. 
For some reason Aj and I really LOVED making things out of cardboard.
(and I still do...can't speak for her, though I would lean to yes)
Brooke, Bri, Kyle and Michelle as the cast of Peter Pan for the home coming float
Sean and Brooke at the Renaissance Fair.
Many of you know I do NOT like Halloween...
for many reasons...one of them being the dress up part.
So you may be surprised to learn that we dressed up often.
The year before this I was wearing the Jester costume.
Danny, Brooke and Aja hiking/climbing at, I believe Spring Mountain.
We would go hiking a lot...and we usually ended up climbing mountains without equipment or a way down.
It's amazing none of us died.
Repelling in the Subway at Zion National Park.


Just looking at these makes me realize what an awesome teenagehood I had there.
not to sound cheesy, but it was unique...
I know how lucky I am to have had those two years.

Great friends
(which I've managed to find everywhere...don't get your panties in a bunch)
TONS of swimming
sand volleyball
playing on the varsity basketball team
sweet 16 parties to rival MTV's.
pool hoping and getting chased by hotel security
riding the CAT bus.
people watching...possibly the greatest on earth!
McCarran airport (pre tightened security)
Seriously...you can have so much fun at an airport.
In-n-Out burger...which is now in Utah thankfully!
Best vanilla shake in the state.

I know I was so lucky to live there.
Despite the horrible weather in the summers.
Like I said...a deep and abiding love.

1 comment:

ern said...

speaking of loving las vegas...have you spoken to nichole lately?????????