Wednesday, February 9

salted roads...or roads made of salt?

This is NOT really a love post.  So my apologies.

This morning I walked out to get the newspaper and saw this:
and this:

Yes my friends and civic leaders of the city of North Salt Lake...that is salt on the road...NOT ice...NOT snow...S-A-L-T aka sodium chloride aka NaCL.

It was at least an inch if not two inches thick. I backed out of the driveway and started down my pretty steep hill to Valley View drive...as I came to the bottom of the hill and the stop sign and prepared to stop I started to slide down my hill...onto Valley View.  Luckily, no one was driving down the road at that moment, but as I turned onto Valley View, I thought, "huh...that's odd...isn't the point of salting the road so that we DON'T slip?"

I realize I live on a curvy steep hill that is not driving friendly when ice and snow is involved.  HOWEVER...I do think that this was a bit overboard.  I think I'm going to take these photos to the city building.  All this salt is A) ruining the road B) making my car dirty...city of NSL-you're paying for my car wash and C) acting as a catalyst to the rusting process on my car (not that is is rusty in many places, but there are a few spots...and this is not helping).  So perhaps you and Maaco should get together and get me a new paint job.

Sincerely,
Brooke Lee Russell

3 comments:

mattie said...

seriously...sometimes i think nsl is one of the worst-managed cities on this planet. i only lived there three years, but i've never lived in a place where i continually thought, "wow, i could name ten ways of how that could have been done better."

mattie said...

other than that, it's a great place to live!

Mom and Kenz said...

That is funny -- yeah I'd say a bit overboard.